One very easy way to get your dream job is having a well written Skills-based CV; a kind of CV also referred to as a Competency-based CV or resume. As business consultants, Human Resources recruiters, trainers and employers for many organizations, we have noticed that many skilled candidates do not know how to write captivating CVs and some do not know how to make their CVs appealing to would-be employers and recruiters. This is why we publish this post to help our readers know what employers and recruiters look for when hiring candidates. Following the steps outlined below will not only get you noticed among so many candidates, it will also give you the job you desire!
What is a Skills-Based or Competency-based CV?
A competency-based CV or resume focuses more on your abilities and qualifications rather than how much time you spent at each company. It is a functional CV that showcases your professional skills and competencies instead of simply stating your work-history in chronological order.
Why is a Competency-Base CV so Important to getting you the Job you Want?
Reasons why a Competency-based CV is so important is because employers today want people who can help them solve their business problems; people who can bring solution(s) to their organizations and so they look for people who can deliver the required solutions; people with the right skills, capabilities and experience; people who can bring real value on the table rather than people with many academic qualifications and little or no skills. (Please note that academic and professional qualifications are very important towards giving you increased and sought-after value,so get some certifications please).
Another major reason why you must craft a skills-based CV is because it will definitely stand you out from the crowd of applicants and bring you face-to-face with your potential employers. It can actually give you the job you desire if you can match your talk.
How to Write a Skills or Competency-Based CV
Most CVs or Resumes focus on Work-based Competencies and give very little hint about Behaviour-based competencies. This is wrong. Employers look for skills and the attitudes or behavior around those skills, so ensure that your CV has a healthy dose of both. To be clear, ensure that your Competency-based CVs includes both your Work-based Competencies and Behaviour-based Competencies.
- Draft two to three sentences that summarize your work history, personality traits and professional accomplishments. For example, in the introductory paragraph of your resume, use \”An enthusiastic and diligent events coordinator with 10-plus years of logistics and events management expertise, I\’m looking for an opportunity to expand my breadth of knowledge in a leadership role with a charitable foundation. I have demonstrated proficiency in large-scale events, negotiating vendor contracts and organizing fundraising dinners”.
- Next, create an area called “Core Competencies”, list at least 5-8 areas of your core expertise in few lines in this area. This area is just below your introduction or Executive Summary (if this is the format you are following). Areas of expertise aren\’t professional traits such as time management or organizational skills; they are job- or industry-specific skills that require you to demonstrate functional knowledge or expertise. Examples of areas of expertise for an events coordinator include vendor management, planning and logistics, food service and catering knowledge, volunteer recruitment, events security management etc
- Next,create a section titled, \”Professional Competencies,\” under which you include five to six f your professional competencies. These statements are based on your work history, such as tasks and responsibilities successfully completed in the past or are capable of performing. Organize the professional competencies into project-oriented themes. For example, assume you have been in charge of organizing fundraising dinners for a political party. Describe one of your professional competencies as, \”Manage site selection, review potential invitee and donor lists, extend keynote speaker invitations, petition for funding speakers\’ honorariums, map seating charts and dais seating arrangements, and negotiate menu costs with hotel catering staff.\” Describe your professional competencies as start-to-finish tasks, grouping all of the related duties into one competency statement. Write your professional competencies in the present tense. They\’re tasks you previously performed; however, since you are still capable of performing the same duties, they should be present-tense statements.
- Add a list of your previous employers and your position with each, including the dates of employment. Note however that for a competency-based resume, you don’t need to describe your duties for each position. A competency-based resume focuses on your entire range of skills and qualifications — not what you accomplished at each of your previous jobs.
- State your education, professional training or academic credentials. Include the area of study or degree program, institution or provider, location and completion or graduation date. For example, if you have a degree in Communication Arts from the University of Uyo, list it as, \”Bachelor of Arts, Communication Arts,\” University of Uyo,\” and your graduation date. List post-graduate education first, then post-secondary credentials followed by professional training and development courses. Do not forget to use fonts that will make your CV beautiful, appealing and readable. Appealing fonts are fonts like Calibri(Body),Times New Roman or Verdana.
Steeple Global Services(steepleglobal.com) is a Business and Management Consulting firm based in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State. Nigeria! We set up new businesses(like Malls, Supermarkets, Lounges & hospitality organizations, Pharmacies etc) and restructure existing ailing & struggling businesses into profit making ventures. We also partner with business owners to manage their organizations for them especially if they are absent by reason of still being in active employment or out of their business locations). Additionally Steeple Global provides full spectrum Human Resources services including recruitment, Train & Supply Services to organizations, Career Training & Development courses to employees and persons who want to develop themselves in employability, business and other entrepreneurial skills. We also recruit, train and manage(outsource} employees for organizations and businesses through our business and management consulting firm http://old.steepleglobal.com ) based in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria.