Preparing for an interview before you are invited for one will give you ample time to plan, study and develop your skills in many areas, at your own pace. This implies that you must read and research daily about current thoughts, facts and figures affecting, changing or reshaping your field or industry of interest. You may need to set up mock interviews for yourself to help you gain confidence.
When preparing for an interview, ensure you do the following:
- Go through every material or document you submitted to the employer or recruiter during the job search process to ensure there is consistency between what you submitted and what is available or prepare answers for your inconsistencies.
- Read and reread information about the vacancy, job description, person requirements and other requirements. Make sure you ask yourself questions based on your scrutiny of the requirements of the job and answer them. This will help you build confidence and not get caught unawares by any unexpected questions during the interview.
- Research the company and its industry more thoroughly. This will surely give you a great advantage and may possibly stand you out among other interviewees.
- Re-check your CV and other credentials; print them out or photocopy them and put them in the file that you will take to the interview.
- To help you, ensure that a soft copy of your CV is always stored in your phone, email address or Flash Drive.
- Attend the Interview
The only way to get the job you so desire is to attend the interview if and when invited. Recruiters usually lookout for certain qualities and traits in applicants from the moment they arrive at the interview venue. Ensure you dress smart for the interview; someone once said “you do not have a second chance to make a good first impression”. To make a good first impression, therefore, you must do the following:
- Dress smart(you do not need to dress expensively even if you can afford it)
- Arrive early at the venue
- Go through the vacancy checklist and job requirements again to make sure you have covered all possible grounds
- Arrive early for the interview and take note of the organization’s surroundings, name or department inscriptions, other write-ups etc. Some organizations will have their Goals, Mission and Vision Statement boldly written on walls or on notice boards. Take note of this, it may help you get the job
- Take more than a cursory or careless look at the company e.g. Mission and Vision Statements, the Company’s Values etc. Take your time to look through and note important facts about the company; be observant and pay attention to details around the company (if the interview venue is where your would-be employer is). This may help you.
- Note the names of the panel members immediately you are ushered into the hall or once they introduce themselves
- Relax, take a deep breath and relax; remember this is just going to be a discussion, so make up your mind to enjoy it!
- Stop answering every question with “Thank you very much for that question”. When you are asked a question, go straight to the point to answer the question and don’t repeat the question to the person asking you.
- Prepare at least one or two questions that you will ask the recruiter or HR Manager after they are done asking you theirs. This will give them the impression that you are confident. Please let the question be a sound question and not just a question to ask because you just want to ask a question!
Steeple Global Services(steepleglobal.com) is a Business and Management Consulting firm based in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State. Nigeria! We set up new businesses(like Malls, Supermarkets, Lounges & hospitality organizations, Pharmacies etc) and restructure existing ailing & struggling businesses into profit-making ventures. We also partner with business owners to manage their organizations for them especially if they are absent by reason of still being in active employment or out of their business locations). Additionally Steeple Global provides a full spectrum of Human Resources services including recruitment, Train & Supply Services to organizations, and Career Training & Development courses for employees and persons who want to develop themselves in employability, business and other entrepreneurial skills. We also recruit, train and manage(outsource} employees for organizations and businesses through our business and management consulting firm http://old.steepleglobal.com ) based in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria.